Monday, April 21, 2014

The Day the Police Came to School on Superhero Day

Now I’d like to take a second to talk about the last Earth Day I experienced.  In The Hood.  From this post title, you might be tempted to think that we were celebrating the brave police officers of our city (which they totally are).  You may think we were doing the whole "Everyday Superhero" after school special-type thing.  But then you would be wrong.  We were not that thoughtful.

This particular day was a dress up daySuperhero Day.  (Here are my previous thoughts on dress-up days, so you can better understand my frame of mind at this time).  I think it was around Earth Day because I dressed up like Michael Recycle, from Ellie Bethel’s book.  Saving the environment and all.  So I look like this:



And I’m supervising recess.  Suddenly, I notice that the helicopters are circling.  In The Hood, this is never a good sign.  One helicopter, you’re okay.  Two helicopters, you might start getting concerned.  Three helicopters, something unsavory is going on and your school is about to go into lockdown.  This was a three helicopters situation.

Within seconds, the cops show up right outside the fence.  Now remember, I look like this:




And I have to discuss the situation with the police, looking like an absolute fool.  “Yes I know I’m wearing spandex and a cape. Yes, I’m in charge here.  Yes I know it doesn’t look that way.”  Completely embarrassing, just mortifying.  Then I had to run around on the playground in my cape to get all the kids to go inside really quickly because someone had held something up and was running around with a gun.  You just try to get kids to take you seriously looking like that.  Not happening.  Then somehow make them take a lockdown seriously, because they all look like fools too.  Just another day in the life. 

My advice?  If you are an adult, planning on dressing up for these ridiculous dress-up days, change into regular clothes before going out to supervise recess. You never know what may happen!

Jodie

No comments:

Post a Comment