Saturday, March 8, 2014

Why I Teach Littler Ones (but not too little ones)

I would say that the ideal age to teach is second grade.  They are old enough to be semi-independent, so you aren’t always reminding them to use the restroom or tying their shoes.  They’re old enough to be able to zip their own coats (most of the time) and don’t cry so much. 

My first year, I taught kindergarten.  And that was the last time I was ever affected by the tears of young children.  It’s seriously EVERY DAY.  About EVERYTHING.  And it starts with just one of them.  Then the others get jealous for attention, so they start crying too.  Am I the only one who experiences this?  And you end up spending all your teaching time on “emotional development.”  Don’t get me wrong, that’s important.  But after a while, it gets old.  That and spending all my time tying shoes is why the little ones are just too much for me.  God bless all you kindergarten and pre-k teachers.  You have a gift.


That being said, second graders are still young enough to think I’m cool and do hilarious things, and tell me hilarious stories.  They want to write me notes about how they think I’m so cool and beautiful and the “best teacher ever.”  It’s a boost to the old ego, even if they are 7.  Second graders are awesome.





Jodie

No comments:

Post a Comment